The application for the 2018-2019 cohort is now accessible by clicking this link. Note that with expanded fall-spring programming, only a fall intake will occur in 2018-2019.
The application contains three components:
- Part 1: Name and basic program information
- Part 2: Three application questions
- Part 3: Email CV/Resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please title your resume as LastName_FirstName_Resume.pdf
If you have any problems accessing the application, contact Lola Fagbami at email@example.com.
Application opens: Friday, August 24, 2018
Application due: Tuesday, September 4, 2018 at 8:00 pm ET
Interviews (20 minutes long, in-person preferred): Thursday, September 6 through Sunday, September 9, 2018
Notification of acceptance by no later than: Monday, September 10, 2018
Must be a current Harvard graduate student. Applicants are encouraged to apply earlier in their Harvard tenure to participate longer in the alumni programming that is offered after the cohort semester concludes, as well as contribute to helping support future cohorts given the special nature of HGSLI as a student-founded, peer-led initiative.
Must be available to attend the full retreat and all fall Monday night sessions in their entirety (see Required Attendance Dates section below, sessions occur most nights in Harvard Square). Full participation and attendance is crucial to the success of this program and thus we cannot accept individuals who are not able to attend all sessions. As peers, we hold each other accountable to show up for each other throughout the semester–before applying, please reflect on whether this semester is the right time to be present and committed to this program. There can be slight differences across the various Harvard graduate school calendars, so please carefully confirm your academic calendar to the program dates below to make sure that your schedule will allow you to participate in the full retreat and weekly sessions. Otherwise, there are no additional time commitments for the program such as having to do reading, work, etc. outside of the actual retreat and Monday meetings. For Spring 2019 portion of programming, Forums are requested to continue meeting at least monthly, and Fellows–in small groups by school or across schools–will be asked to give back by hosting an event to share lessons learned with other students at Harvard; hosting an event will also serve as a leadership opportunity for cohort members. (Planning will be discussed more during the fall semester, but the structure will be creative, flexible, broad, and meaningful.)
- Must be able to contribute $50 for the cost of the Cape Cod retreat (transportation, housing, and meals are included). Please note that all meals will be provided at the retreat as well as dinner at all of the Monday night sessions. Dinner is typically ready by 6:00pm for Fellows to start gathering.
Required Attendance Dates:
- Retreat: Friday, September 14 (~6:30 pm) – Sunday, September 16 (~3:00 pm)
- Pre-Session: Plan to connect with your Forum group the week of September 17
- Session #1: Monday, September 24 (6:30-9:30pm)
- Session #2: Monday, October 1 (6:30-9:30pm)
- Session #3: Monday, October 15 (6:30-9:30pm)
- Session #4: Monday, October 22 (6:30-9:30pm)
- Session #5: Monday, October 29 (6:30-9:30pm)
- Session #6: Monday, November 5 (6:30-9:30pm)
- Session #7: Monday, November 12 (6:30-9:30pm)
Spring programming summary:
- Forum groups will continue to meet throughout the spring semester
- Alumni programming will be offered to all past members to join as available
- Fall fellows, in small groups by school or across schools, will be asked to give back by hosting an event to share lessons learned with other students at Harvard; this will also serve as a leadership opportunity for cohort members, and planning will be discussed more during the fall semester